Parvuli Dei Faith Formation Program (Project Book and Award)
REQUIREMENT PRIOR TO PURCHASING THE PARVULI DEI MEDAL:
What: The youth will explore a wide range of activities designed to help them discover God in their daily lives. The activities in this program are simple and family oriented so that the success of the program depends upon the parents or other adults who act as advisors to the child. CYC began administering this program in 1964.
When: This program should take 2-4 months to complete. The emblem is presented at a local parish on Scout Sunday or another ceremony and it is recommended that you contact your parish priest and/or Religious Emblem Counselor to plan this ceremony.
Who: Anyone who is interested can work on the Parvuli Dei Faith Formation Program. The youth must be in either 3rd, 4th, or 5th grade.
Requirements: The youth completes all the requirements outlined in the activity book to the satisfaction of his parents and the Religious Emblem Counselor.
Upon Competion: After all five steps are completed the youth takes his book and application to the pastor of the parish to talk about what he has learned.
Parents’/Guardians’ Role: The parents or guardians should actively work with them; help with bible readings and getting information. Make sure the Religious Emblems Coordinator and/or leader is informed of their progress.
Some of the chapters include:
- God and His Creation: You and your child read the creation story in Genesis, find pictures of different things God has created and paste them into the book, write a prayer, and do a family activity.
- God our Father, His Son Christ and I: You will read the story of the Wise Men in Luke’s gospel. Then talk about the gifts you could give the Christ child and what you could do for Jesus today. The youth talks to his parents about how they learned about Jesus and the family makes up their own prayer service.
- Jesus, our Church and I: You will fill in a family tree of the church, interview someone who works for the parish (a priest, a parish council member, a custodian, a teacher, etc.), find out what activities and service projects the parish sponsors, talk about parish celebrations, and make a list of things to do for your family and your parish.
- Jesus, His people and I: This step gives the scout an opportunity to make a gift or card to give to someone in the neighborhood who is sick or elderly. They are also encouraged to pray for this person. They are required to do these good deeds for his family. You also talk about asking forgiveness for having hurt someone and doing something to show that you are truly sorry.
- Children of God: After reading the story of Zaccheus in Luke’s gospel, choose one day a week to show someone “I Love You” and make a banner that shows the things you have learned or activities you have done to earn this award.
The Faith Formation Program General Applicaion online or the "Parvuli Dei Emblem Application" (preferred) in the back of the Parvuli Dei activity book must be completed and submitted to the Office of Catholic Scouting before you will be allowed to purchase the Parvuli Dei medal from our online store.